Friday, September 15, 2017

First pair of Smooth Operator Socks and fighting thru knitting inertia.

Finished my first pair of SOS socks and I really dig the pattern. Now I can make perfect 90 degree contrasting heels.  Unfortunately, I don't dig the actual socks.  I made them one at a time so one sock ended up a bit short and doesn't fit so this pair is going to my mom.  Her feet are a bit smaller than mine.  


Accidentally making the socks different lengths really bummed me out!  I liked the yarn so I had planned to wear these socks and was really looking forward to that F.O. high but instead I was extremely pissed!  I started another pair with the red tonal yarn but as I kept knitting, the fabric began to remind me of like a blood clot or something.  The variations in red were really turning me off.  So I actually started to freak out a little bit.  What was I going to knit next?  My plan was to knit up the three skeins of sock yarn that I had left as SOS socks but I couldn't deal with the blood clot sock.  I decided to set it aside.

Instead, I picked up the Plymouth Select black yarn that I'd bought awhile ago and started on the Yes Checks hat that I'd been wanting.  This project turned out to be a godsend.  I was still uneasy about the future of the $30 of sock yarn in the closet and the $40 more that was on it's way in the mail but I wasn't directionless anymore.  I had a project, it wasn't as exciting as socks, but it kept me knitting.  It also kept me from doing anything extreme like giving up on socks altogether or stressing about spending too much money. 

I think the money thing was probably the biggest stressor.  I hadn't ordered any yarn in awhile.  And when I bought stuff in the past it was usually on sale.  I bought this at regular price.  It felt extravagant and indulgent and I began to have buyer's remorse the next day.  Also, my Gran requested a vest for Christmas.  I found a great pattern for the Veronika Cardigan by Shannon Cook but it uses so much yarn!  I'll probably end up making the largest size and that's almost 1,700 yards of yarn!  And while the Grocery Girls recommend using a regular wool yarn (not a superwash)  I can't give my Gran something that isn't wash and wear.  So,  I did alot of internet research.  My favorite worsted is the Plymouth Select.  It is so soft but also $15 a skein and I need like 8 skeins.  When I ordered my last batch of sock yarn from Knitpicks, I also ordered one skein of a Knitpicks wool that is an aran.  The reviews said it was closer to worsted.  That skein cost about $8.  If I swatch it and like it then I will be able to get the wool for my Gran's "vest" for under $100 and that will be so nice.  Sigh of relief!

So, I'm waiting on my next delivery from Knitpicks (it should be here Monday) and then I think my inertia will be over.  I decided to go ahead and knit the red socks but to do a contrasting band, heel and toe to try and make them more playful and less like they've been soaked in blood. I can swatch the Veronika Cardigan and order the rest of the yarn (ugh) and have some socks to work on as well.  Everything will be coming up Millhouse!


No comments:

Post a Comment