Sunday, June 21, 2015

McCall's 5640 (The Green One)

Finished number 2. Its view B again. I really like the square neckline. My mom corrected me and said its not a collar its a neckline lol. 


My goal was a flawless muumuu but I still made some mistakes. 

But first, the things I did right: 

1. For the neckhole (hehe), I drew my stitch line on the fabric at the corners. This made it easier to maintain my 5/8" seam allowance. 

2. I used my mom's trick on corners. Instead of stitching to the corner and pivoting, she stitches almost to the corner then turns the fabric and stitches 2 small stitches diagonally. This made for a much nicer point on my corners.

3. I paid attention this time and didn't reverse the facing so the understitching is on the inside where it belongs. 

Things I could've done better:

1. My thread fell out of the circles that I marked on the front and back pieces but I decided to sew on and line it up with the ends of the facing. I realized later that this caused problems with the armholes because after sewing and pressing the ends weren't really lined up. My bad. I won't do that again. 

2. Also, I was lazy again and decided to machine stitch the neck stuff (I'm confused what terminology to use now!) instead of handstitching like the instructions suggest. 

I thought I would be so excited to have another green muumuu but actually I'm so in love with the yellow one that this one leaves me kind of meh. I really wish they had pockets so I think I'll be adding those soon. Also, if I can figure out how to do it, I'm going to enter them in the Pattern Review Stash Busting Contest! I was hoping to get two more done this month but that's not gonna happen. 

Next to sew? I just don't know what. My plan was to make some hunky fabric muumuus (view D this time) out of this stuff because I think its funny and I'm too embarrassed to wear it outside.   


But I can't get excited about it. Yes, they would be funny and very photogenic but I just made 2 housedresses. Boring. 


I might work on this instead. 


I bought this cool downloadable pattern from Burda for like $5 and I really wanna try it with the strawberry fabric I've been saving. I've never put together a PDF pattern before and I realized later that it doesn't include my size so I could practice grading up. (Trying to look on the bright side here)

So, patch pockets, hunky housedress or Burda strawberry shirt. I'll have to give it some thought :)


No comments:

Post a Comment